Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cleaning

I've spent a chunk of my day in the library(Thursday) cleaning it up.  Found a vacuum in the staircase, which shouldn't really be there.  The library is used more for storage of non-library materials than actually used.
But since I wanted to clean the rugs and blow some of the dust away I'm not complaining.  After all keep it clean is a tenet of preservation.  Maybe not the first rule or anything, but it helps.  Besides my allergies were bugging me. 
The first floor is done.  The Main library, the Chinese room, and McGowan.  There were lots of gravel pebbles, and other oddities.  Probably it gets tracked in on someone's shoes and is left here. 
Now I need a few buckets of Murphy's Oil Soap for the wood in this place.  That'd make it shine.  Probably help hydrate the wood too.  The place was built in the 1920's.
This isn't exactly my job in the library, but I feel that someone has to care enough to do all the little things as well as the major stuff.  I mean my office is crammed with books to be cataloged, old books no one needs, duplicate materials, mail and session archives.  A lot of major projects that it's almost too much to take in.  I've been making lists everyday and still not doing everything.  Yes, cleaning was on the master list.  So it's good.

No comments: